Overseas Legal Requirements

If you are coming from Overseas to marry in Australia or not an Australian Resident, and possibly before you arrive in Australia, you will need:

  • Evidence that both parties are over the age of 18. Under no circumstances can you be married if you are under the age of 18 without necessary court approvals. If under 18 years of age, only a court empowered to give a 'Section 12' order can give authority for the marriage to be solemnised.
  • An original birth certificate
  • A divorce decree absolute (if previously married)
  • A death certificate of spouse (if widowed)
  • Two witnesses over the age of 18 to sign the relevant legal documents (i.e. marriage certificates) on the wedding day
  • Deed poll document for name change
  • All of the above to be signed in front of and witnessed by the below stated authorities.
  • NOIM to be witnessed by only – Australian Embassy/Consular Authorised Staff member or Notary Public of your country.
  • Any documents not in English will need to be translated by an authorised translator www.naati.com.au and originals of both bought with you.
  • Remember to bring all originals with you when you come to Sydney as I am unable to marry you without them.